Saturday 3 August 2013

My Gaming Principles

I touched on this in a previous post and these really aren't anything scientific but act more as a guide to what I look for and get from my hobby.  This is probably the first time they've been "documented" so a lot of this is brain dump information so take it as that.
  1. Only buy it if you're going to use it.
  2. Is everyone having fun?  Including you.
  3. Accept that you're going to be the GM.
  4. Change is a good thing and is necessary.
  5. Opinions aren't as important as knowledge and experience.
Each of these warrants it's own post but I wanted to give some insight into how these principles came about and why I try (stress try) to stick to them.

When you start out in any hobby you tend to go in eyes wide waiting for the awesomeness to unfold in front of you.  As your experience and investment in that hobby grows over time your wants and desires for it change and develop as do your expectations of how the awesomeness will be experienced.

Tabletop Games have been my hobby for what's approaching 30 years.  Like Star Wars and comic books it's been a constant part of my life and in particular my social life.

To help me get the most out of my hobby and ensure that I am enjoying it as much as possible I started to think about how I wanted to ensure that my hobby would continue to grow.  Alongside that I have to balance my hobby with the limited free time that is available to me.  So these gaming principles act as a guide to how I develop my hobby and how I play the games I own.

As I said this is a bit of a brain dump and I'll be posting more details on each one in turn.  These principles are my checkpoints to ensure that I'm getting what I want out of my hobby.

What principles do you apply to your hobby?

No comments:

Post a Comment